I often times feel sorry for my married siblings. I can't even begin to explain all the fabulous things you have missed out on by getting married at the age of like twelve. So today I will enlighten you on just one of the amazing aspects of single life. You probably never even realized that our Mother is basically a professional matchmaker. Every time I come home she has a new "match" lined up... each one more ridiculous then the last. It can't get worse then last night's match though. Dad and I were quietly working a puzzle when Sue beckoned from the "Christmas Tree Room." She wanted to share a poem with us (ME). Read on...
Uncle Santa
My childhood's great ambition
Was frustrated because
I couldn't get Aunt Mary
To marry Santa Claus.
With Santa for an uncle,
I reckoned to become
The envy of all other kids
Throughout all Christendom.
A story-telling maiden aunt
And dearly loved was she-
A perfect mate for Santa,
But she thought differently!
She said, "He simply will not do.
His beard would make a mess
When he ate soup; and I will not
Endure such sloppiness;
And furthermore, if you don't stop
This wearisome pursuit,
I'll booby-trap the chimney-
I'll fix that darned old coot!"
So Santa's not my uncle.
In fact, as I recall,
He's never shown himself to be
Much kin to me at all,
But, for the youngsters of today
I have some sound advice:
This coming crop of AUNTIES
Thinks beards are very nice.
So one of you might snag him
For an uncle, if you try,
And I sincerely hope that you
Have better luck than I!
-Ruth Van Gorder
SERIOUSLY SUE!! Santa Claus?? Really?? I mean besides the obvious age difference, he is unemployed 11 months out of the year. I don't really think I would enjoy living in the North Pole and I don't have a lot of red in my wardrobe. The only thing we have going is that I like to receive presents and he likes to give. Besides he already married a spinstery, old schoolmarm and I am not a homewrecker! Really I don't want to discourage the rest of you though... maybe you have a much older man or the Easter Bunny you want to introduce me to.
1 comment:
I do recall hearing of a Mrs. Clause in the picture- for a lot of years. Sorry Emm, you'll have to shot for someone else.
Post a Comment