Sunday, August 30, 2009

Montana

“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’ re in it... Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.” - John Steinbeck

It is easy to take things for granted. You become too familiar. Soon the remarkable becomes mundane and you forget just how lucky your are. Or maybe that's just me? I love Montana. I sing it's praises constantly. My students groan each time I say the "m" word. Had it all just become lip service? Had I gotten lazy in appreciating and enjoy my home state?

As a child I spent hours outside in Montana; riding bikes, hiking the "M", swimming at Flathead, camping at Indian Creek, Sunday drives in the Chevy Love, football at Hawthorne, ski lessons, softball games at Westside. It was constant activity. It took playing "tour guide" this summer to visitors from California to make me really stop and truly appreciate Montana again. Suddenly driving through the Bighole wasn't just a longer way to get to Missoula but a picturesque view of this state I love. Birch Creek wasn't just a place for a quick picnic but a truly magnificent geological find.

I am so blessed to have grown up in Montana. And I'm not just saying it this time.


2 comments:

Susan said...

Yahoo!!!! Thanks so much for posting -- Let's go Briggy Bunch.

A lovely post -- bob and I keep talking about our wonderful summer - the best one ever- Thanks to all of you for making it possible.

SandyKay said...

Blogging doesn't have a LIKE button but needs one.

Here's my post:

LIKE!