Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Recovery... an hour by hour update.

It is official. I am not good at being sick or in "recovery." I actually snuck to work at 5:30 this morning. An action that now has LoB suggesting I might need psychological help. I, of course, have no choice but to blame my mother.
One week ago today (please note... it is midnight, Tuesday, November 17), my tonsils were removed. This action has left me with two questions:

1. Why, oh why, do we even have tonsils if they can just be stripped from our bodies?
2. How do you people survive without my voice in the world?
10 hours into recovery I wrote a note to Nurse Sue. On a quick side note... Nurse Sue is amazing. Gone are the days of "Buck up lil' camper." That lady sure knows how to do some caregiving. The note said, "How long before I feel like I can talk." To which she responded, "It might be a while sweetie." I wrote, "But I have a lot of important things to say. I feel bad that ya'll are missing out."
That was a week ago folks. And still I have had very few conversations. It is killing me softly. I am panicking that I'm going to forget all these important thoughts. So, I thought I would impose some purpose or structure to Day 7 of Recovery. I will be updating this post throughout the day. I'm sure that you have always wanted to know what Emmy does with a day off... when she has limited options.

12:00 - 12:30: Started post. Second season of West Wing is playing in the background, which means I'm about ready to hit the hay. I've been icing my neck while typing. Just finished a short little book. I'm going to read a few chapters in the book that the Fullers sent. Thanks Fullers!!

12:30 - 1:00: Just wasted a full half hour on facebook looking through people's photos. Maybe I do need psychological help.

1:00 - 6:00: Sleep like a rock. Right up until the moment that the left-side of my throat (which til this point I've been referring to as the "good side") decided to make it's presence known. OUCHHHHHHHHHHH!! It felt as if someone had taken a cheese grater and run it along the inside of my throat. Awesome.

6:01 - 6:35: Brushed my teeth 3 times. Realize my tongue is not swollen anymore so I can see the back of my mouth. OMG! Disgusting. I am fascinated and of course spent the next 20 minutes just looking at it in the bathroom mirror. Take some more pain medicine. I had been planning on weaning myself starting today... but forget it. Stumble back to my room. I think I might have had a conversation with Betty??

6:40 - 11:00: Slept.

11:01 - 12:00: Read most of "Savy." The book the Fullers sent me. It is great. You should read it.

12:00 - 12:30: Showered. Got dressed. Took some Tylenol. Drank 2 glasses of water.

12:30 - 1:00: ???? I'm really not sure what happened to the time.

1:00 - 2:00: Finished the puzzle Mom left me. Really only involved putting in like 10 pieces. But they were all green. And frustrating. Watched the new Bravo program "Chef Academy" while puzzling. They had to make their signature dish. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what my signature dish is. Enchiladas cassarole? That doesn't really seem up to par. I need to get a signature dish. Worked on drinking some more water.

2:00 - 2:30: Started the dishwasher. Started panicking that Betty is going to be home soon and I don't have any progress to show for myself today. Started drinking a pomegranate-berry fruit shake. Hope that I can finish it. Inside the Actors Studio is on. Bon Jovi are the guests. Anne are you watching also? No... you have a life. Maybe I will take out the trash.

2:30 - 3:30: More time wasted on the computer. I've never understood what people look at on the internet for hours and hours. I am beginning to understand.

3:30 - 4:00: Went to the pharmacy to pick up more meds.

4:00 - 6:30: Talked to Betty for awhile. Made plans to go to the movies with Iris & Megan. Made some soup. Garden Broccoli. It was good. I would really recommend the V8 soups. They are tasty. Talked to Kalin on the phone. She gave me some good insights about her tonsil recovery. Watched the first part of an episode of Extreme Home Makeover. I cried.

6:30 - 6:40: Walked to the theatre to meet Iris & Megan for the movie.

7:00 - 9:00: Watched a depressing movie. I mean a really, really, really depressing movie. It was good, but too depressing for recovery... or ever. It was a good idea though. I got to spend time with friends and not feel pressured to talk too much. I also drank a bottle of water and juice without even thinking about it. I was tired by the end though.

9:00 - 9:35: Walked home. Contemplating taking some more medicine, but am trying to hold out so I don't wake up at 3:30 a.m. I know you all (Mom) have been enjoying this immensely and are super jealous of my exciting day. I will update one more time before signing off for the night.

9:40 - 10:00: Got ready for bed. I've brushed my teeth like a zillion times in the past week, and yet they still feel yucky. Definitely the worst part of having your tonsils out.

10:00 - 11:00: Watched the Hills & the City. I'm not even embarrassed. Okay... I'm a little embarrassed. I have a problem. I sometimes watch really stupid reality shows. I'm not proud of it. And admitting you have a problem is the first step... right? I also took a dose of medicine to get me through the night.

11:00 - 12:00: Submitted grades. I'm a good little multi-tasker though. As I worked on grades I was also chatting with Iris and reading up on a variety of important matters through the internet links she sent. I learned a lot about the cast of the New Moon... in particular the "wolfpack", Brittany Murphy's unfortunate looking husband, and Rhianna's concert. Don't I make the best use of my time? Now I am getting ready to sign off. Night all... hope this relieved some of your pain and suffering. Never fear... everyday my voice gets a little stronger and in no time at all I will be able to burn up the phone lines with all these valuable thoughts :)

6 comments:

Susan said...

After three SILENT days in LA and only a couple begging texts to please please tell us how you are the next three - I for one cannot be more thrilled about a full on hourly update.

I'm so glad you are at day 7 - the nurse said 4 thru 7 are the worst so you will be starting the up hill climb. A structured recovery day will be a sure sign of that.

But what the heck is this sneaking to school in the wee hours -- was that for reals???

Hang in there!!

Susan said...

On the way home I was wondering if you found some of the mystery energy drinks I left in your frig.

Susan said...

Thank you - i enjoyed knowing about your day because it shows you are clearly on the mend. When I left you Sat. morning I was very concerned about when you would turn the corner. Enjoy the rest of the week - I can attest it goes by so fast and then there is just work again at the end of it.

Anne said...

I'm glad you are starting to feel a little bit better. Hope the recovery continues at a good pace- enjoy the programs I can't (any featuring Bon Jovi) because you'll be better before you know it and won't have time to watch.

Just2CUsmile said...

you didn't include how you're prepping for the salty chocolate peanut tart dessert you're gonna be making for us :)

house of walls said...

i love that you had your tonsils out, at 30. ainsley had her's out two years ago. but she was 2. we think about you a lot. we are headed to utah for thanksgiving. any chance you'll be there?