Time for a rambling Sue thoughts post - the dreaded "Susie Sunshine advise"!!
One Briggsism is they just cut the "heart out of the watermelon". This is said when someone has good fortune or sometimes "the xxx generation cut the heart right out of the watermelon (fill in greatest or boomers - whatever works).
Last night as i went to sleep worrying about my family (Loren - go to the Dr.)the vision of the "heart of the watermelon" came to my mind. I have truly lived my whole life right in the heart of the watermelon and then I thought about the decades of life and that is the basis of this ramble.
Most of my kids (children, nieces, nephews, brothers,sisters)are approaching, departing, or right in the middle of what I call "the heart of the watermelon" - from ages 28 to 58. Such an exciting, vibrant, changing time of life. It is the time when we are usually lucky enough for at least part of it to have good jobs, grand adventures and mostly to still be surrounded by generations - parents, sometimes grandparents, and also children and new babies. A time of developing great lasting friendships, It is our turn to be the middle, the fulcrum, the helpers. It is also the time of difficult decisions as we direct our lives and it is BUSY, BUSY - oh so busy.
The advise:
ENJOY!! Enjoy this time with positive energy. It is when children can be a worry/challenge but you can hug them & tuck them into bed each night or touch base by cell phone. It is a time to enjoy the wise generation by staying in touch with parents and grandparents who love you with their whole heart and with the experience of being through what you are going through. Be positive, tolerant, forward looking,and close to family and friends.
Be healthy or get healthy now so that the next three decades can be the wonderful reward of enjoying the "heart of the watermelon" in positive healthy ways. With the voice of experience - don't wait -get healthy.
Manage the stress and business by having fun, laughing, and keeping things in perspective. Easier said than done - but work at finding ways to do it. As you all know - I had a box in my bedroom growing up that said "Turn always towards the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you". I know, I know - but it really works.
Loving you all from "the heart of the watermelon".
Sue/Mom
4 comments:
Good advice Mom... sincerely. I have a question though... what is the "heart of the watermelon?" in all my life of being a briggs i have never heard this expression. i need to understand the saying seeing as i am to entering "the heart of the watermelon" i need to know what to expect.
In today's world of little seedeless watermelons it is hard to understand. We used to have big watermelons with lots of seeds. They used to cut them in half and see who could eat the middle no seed part out. It was your Dad's favorite part - and they called it eating the heart out of the watermelon as in "who ate the heart out of the watermelon". It is still a saying they use - especially your Dad.
My deal is if you think of life as three stages of about three decades each - the middle is the heart of the watermelon. I think it is the best because we still usually have some generations of our family around us on both sides to love and help us. It will be a great adventure for you - you are a positive happy person which makes life easier. Love you lots.
As my surrogate mom - thanks for the advice! I hope Anne told you I'm moving to Washington State and therefore much closer to Montana than ever before and will probably drive by your house a few times when I visit my parents!
Melody
Mel,
We are excited to have you closer. You are welcome at our house anytime. Thanks for all the love and care you give to Anne and the darling four - I really apreciate it. Where will you live?? New teaching job or another adventure??
Love,
sue
Post a Comment