Well, I've just been weeping as I finished The Book Thief minutes ago.
I know, can you recommend a book you haven't finished. Yes, if its highly recommended by Anne. She literally shoved this book in my hands at the check out line of the Omaha Barnes and Noble. In the Dr's. waiting room today, Mom also talked about this wonderful book - the kudos it has received are more than well-deserved.
It was hard to get into - Mom said she also had to tell someone to stick with it. The first third was a little rough going and the second third you couldn't put down. Not so much because the book became better but because you finally become comfortable with the narrator and the format. the format is one of the most interesting parts of the book.
Tonight, so close to the finish, I can't even begin to understand all my feelings towards the strong characters drawn in this book. An intimate retelling from a different perspective of the horrible tale of WWII Germany.
I know I will be looking at it again and picking out some special words. The last lines of Liesel's book say it all " I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right"
If you've read this book please post comments and we'll begin a long strand of discussion of the book. If you haven't read it - DO. Thanks Anne. I'll try to respond to the comments to keep a discussion going.
P.S. Mom wanted me to relate that from what she has heard the movie focuses on the alcohol and women that are part of Charlie Wilson's war - she says read the book because it is so much more. Know that Alice started the book and Mom and Dad both have read so start some comments on that one also.
Let's get going Briggy book club - that means everyone who is related or knows any of us even slightly!!!
1 comment:
What can I say? It was one of the most compelling books I have read this year. Now every other book I pick up is a disappointment. I have to say that kudos go to our former babysitter and swim coach Aerial Whitworth, who first recommended the book to me.
Post a Comment