The dishwashers usually consisted of a motley crew of those with little interest in politics (me) or those with little interest in confrontation (Tempie). It was the dishwashing crew who would clear the table and head to the kitchen to work on the dishes until Grandma's call for dessert while the other three tribes went off to the living room for lively political discussion. The dishwasher tribe always kept one ear on the discussion in the living room, not really listening to the content of the conversation, but rather the volume, knowing that as the volume grew so did our tribe's numbers as grandma would usher in a particularly loud member of the activists or dissenters to check on the coffee or set out the pies or help with the dishes. I came to love really heated political discussions because it meant I would not have to dry as many dishes because Steve was sent in to help by Grandma, our resident United Nations.
This blog being the virtual family gathering I looked forward, during this historic election year, to some of that political dialogue I remember so fondly from the real family gatherings of my youth. Sadly, we are now less then two months from election day and this blog, this family gathering, has been strangely quiet on the political goings on of the last two years. In fact other than Emmy's post of an SNL clip (so typical of a member of the comedian tribe) this blog has been completely mute. So even though I have always been a proud member of the dishwashing crew, out of genuine concern for my baby sister, I am stepping out of the kitchen, sitting down by the fire and the Christmas tree, and bringing some politics to this family gathering.
Some of you may remember what a complete ass I was the year I turned 30. During my 29th year I was approaching a defining age milestone, broke and in debt to seemingly everyone, barely having graduating college from Western, mass transiting to the ghetto everyday for a job I was not getting paid for. This was not where I imagined I would be at 30. Taking all these factors together I was in what some might call a funk. Kalin seems to think my funk officially started on the November Tuesday when I found out the people of the United States had given George Bush a 51% mandate on all his policies. I had been pretty vocal about my concerns with a second term of Bush. Worrying if he was reelected we might see ballooning national debt, crumbling financial institutions, political corruption, a decline in America's standing in the world, a stubborn continuation of failed Iraq policies, a disregard for Afghanistan, a stubborn continuation of NCLB, and a deepening religious divide in what should be the most welcoming and tolerant country in the world. (Thank goodness I was wrong about all that.) However, in true dishwasher fashion, I never registered to vote in my new state of California or did one thing to help the Kerry crew. So here is the concern... my baby sister, Emmy, just spent a wonderful week of Emmalee celebrating her 29th year. She is heading to that 30th milestone like me in an important election year, working in a ghetto school for a declining wage (teachers in L.A. took a 3.5% wage decrease this year), wondering when she is going to start taking that next educational step. I don't want my sister to suffer the same 30th birthday depression I went through, (there have already been a number of disturbing clues that the depression is setting in - a new prison tattoo on her foot, constant sleepiness, a disturbing love of watching reruns of The West Wing). For these reasons I will be starting a new political series on our blog called "What I Don't Understand," in honor of John McCain's vast knowledge of everything, and my, as a supporter of Obama, complete lack of understanding of anything. (I am still waiting on an official count of the number of times McCain started with the condescending phrases "What Senator Obama doesn't understand" or "Senator Obama is just being naive" during the debate last night.)
The first thing I don't understand, Senator McCain, is this little puzzle of an answer given by your running mate, Sarah Palin. In all your vast wisdom and knowledge please help me to understand Palin's response to a question about the bailout...
"where it is taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy. Um, helping, oh - - it's got to be all about job creation too. Shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reigning in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade, we've got to see trade as an opportunity, not as a competitive, um, scary thing, but 1 in 5 jobs being created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that." - Sarah Palin
This is something I don't understand. Please Senator McCain show me the light. Thank you for your concern for both me and my baby sister.
The first thing I don't understand, Senator McCain, is this little puzzle of an answer given by your running mate, Sarah Palin. In all your vast wisdom and knowledge please help me to understand Palin's response to a question about the bailout...
"where it is taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy. Um, helping, oh - - it's got to be all about job creation too. Shoring up our economy and putting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reigning in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade, we've got to see trade as an opportunity, not as a competitive, um, scary thing, but 1 in 5 jobs being created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that." - Sarah Palin
This is something I don't understand. Please Senator McCain show me the light. Thank you for your concern for both me and my baby sister.
3 comments:
Unbelievably FUNNY!! Thanks for joining Emmy and me on the family lonley blog. What I don't understand will be a very good reoccuring theme -- especially since i really don't understand ANYTHING that is going on in the world right now. One thing though is - I'm pretty sure I was a dishwasher (well most of the time).
Did we grow up in the same family? I clearly remember several "discussions" (read lectures on decorum) on the way between Arizona Street and the hilltop about NOT discussing politics or religion AT ALL. That our role was to sit, listen, absorb, and be so tolerant of everybody's view that our own opionions need not be thrown on to the table at all- so that everyone in both families understood that we did not judge their views at all. Is it becuase I heard the lecture more, or because I misinterpreted the lecture that I am the only consistant dishwasher to this day? I bet you all would be hard pressed to even venture a guess at were I stand on any political issue or canidate. At this point the lesson is so ingrained I think I will continue to wash dishes, and you can all assume that a) I agree with your political statements completely or b) I really have no thoughts on any of it.
I have to say Anne makes some good points -- i too thought that i mostly lectured about tolerance, listening, and everyone's thoughts being ok perhaps to the point of stifling conversation. However it appears i didn't hold my hand to close to my vest. I'm also very glad we have such very clean dishes!
Post a Comment