Thursday, October 23, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War

OK, I have literally just finished reading the one book of the four that I had not yet read in the four generation book suggestions. All I can say is wow- that was a little bit disturbing. I know that the whole covert, in the shadows stuff goes on- not only in the field but on Capital Hill. I have always, maybe naively, hoped that there was enough Jack Ryan's running around- tempering the whole thing- to make it all work great. Thinking everything through to each and every logical consequence, vanquishing the bureaucratic bad guys as well as the ones with guns, and most of all-always being in the right morally, intellectually, and politically. To bad life has more gray areas than that and there is no Jack Ryan running the CIA.

I'm glad I know better now about the whole Afghanistan thing. I was still really young for most of it, but I did recognize some of the things referred to in the book. I think it is impressive that Crile was able to get the information he did and put it all together, just so I could learn a few things.

I will say, this book was difficult for me to read because I didn't like Charlie or Gust. Those two men did do amazing things in Afghanistan, but yuck. I'm amazed that Wilson was reelected again and again, he was kind of a creepy guy.

And my last thought on the book is this- I can no longer be appalled by "I can see Russia from my house" since "I can see Mexico from my house" was apparently enough for Charlie Wilson to step in create foreign policy- bypassing everyone else.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Very interesting and thoughtful. Guess I better read this one.

Have enjoyed a great weekend with Briggett - played games until 2:30 a.m. for two nights in a row!!! TIRED.