Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The OG looks at the 4G's

Day two of the great seven day post challenge. Today I am going to throw in my two cents on this months books. I only read 3 of the 4 books (Kalin put her foot down on me purchasing the hardcover of the Ivan Diog book, and it has been checked out from my library branch for forever), so for a fourth book I will talk about one of the books the Fuller family gave me for Christmas, the Warren Buffett, snowball book, which I just finished. I will start with Grandma's selection about Zhou Enlai. Grandma always finds my historical weaknesses and forces me to actually learn new things. I have to admit Chinese history is not my strong suit so it took a lot of extra research and digging to more fully understand many of the references found in this book. When Obama said now is the time to put away childish things my guess is he was thinking about Mao. I had to keep putting this book down in frustration every time Enlai refused to nut up and tell Mao he was acting like a twelve year old girl. You have to respect the guy for doing what he could by taking the middle way but at what point do you say this is ludicrous somebody has to say something. I read a great young adult lit. memoir while reading this to help me understand The Cultural Revolution a little better, Red Scarf Girl. I am sure most of you have read it but if you have not it is a pretty good read. The second book I read was Anne's Civil War book which was a welcome respite after powering through all that Chinese history. Nice pick Anne totally enjoyable, I could not put it down. The third book I read was Lisa's Frog Princess, another book I really enjoyed even if all my students made fun of me for reading a pink book during AR time, though I have noticed that since then many of them have been reading and testing through the series. I have heard they are turning it into a movie so something to look forward to. The final book I will talk about is the Warren Buffett book the Fullers gave me. What a fantastic book to be reading the same month over 200,000 people have lost their jobs. It has really helped me understand much of what is behind this financial crisis as well as let me learn a little bit more about the Fuller's new home in Nebraska. I know this post seems a little choppy and some of the reviews could use a lot of work, I have had a lot of stops and starts tonight thanks to Jamo not really wanting to go to bed tonight. Most days I would have just given up on this post and tried again some other day when I could do a better job however because of what I felt was the ladies theme for the month I just kept pushing forward despite all these obstacles, like Enlai trying to find the middle way, or the Princess trying to find her way home, the confederate navy continuing to push back despite insurmountable odds, and Warren Buffett continuing to look for his cigar butts (undervalued stocks) despite increasing competition. I swear you ladies plan this stuff. Can't wait for next months books. Two down - five to go.

2 comments:

emmy said...

LoB... maybe they weren't making fun of the pink book you were reading but the pink unicorn shirt you were wearing.

Anne said...

I'm glad you liked "Glory in the Name." It is one of my favorites- Dad is who suggested it to me.