The week before I was with this same group of students on a field trip to the Huntington Library. We had the opportunity to examine documents from the past, some of "our founding documents." Words that brought about changes that shook our country and the world. Changes that sometimes seemed so slow in coming.
And today, looking at the back of my student's heads, as I listened to more words, more changes, I said a silent prayer.
Help them remember this moment. Even if they don't understand all that is said, help them understand the feeling. Let them know that it is their spirit, their determination, that this new President speaks of.
Help me to remember my charge. Let me not become a cynic. Help me to remember even on those really frustrating days, when it feels like they have forgotten everything I have taught; on the days when it feels like I make no difference; on the days I feel like giving up; help me to remember "It has been risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things -- some celebrated, but more often men and women obscure in their labor -- who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom." Help us all remember this.
I was exactly where I should be. In my little classroom, in my little neighborhood, in my little corner of this country, filled, today, with hope. Where were you?
7 comments:
I was at work, then I came home and thought about where I was and wondered if I'd remember it. Probably.
I left a comment on Tuesday night but it seems to be lost. My comment was that I managed my emotions all day until i read this blog -- then the tears fell. It was a moving day. I was in negotiations with the Montana Public Employee's Association and listened to part of the speech on the radio wishing I could see it all. Spent the night in the hotel room glued to the TV.
Emmy - when I shared your words with the Chancellor he said you should send it to time or newsweek - thought your writing was lovely.
Come on folks - we want to know.
My experience was one of sleeping - since I am in India, everything happened during the middle of the night and I had to work the next day. I did read online the next morning so I could get caught up. Interestingly, the inauguration was big news over here as well and I saw some snippets in the gym and in the restaurant.
Political differences aside, I am first and foremost American and I believe in the democratic process. Obama is the President and I hope he is wise and fair and can help right the ship.
emmy- this has nothing to do with this post. but yes, we are moving to the great state of wa in july. call me and catch up. love- e
I was at school, taking the AWA writing test. They made us watch it at least 10 times. The first time it was touching, but you know, around time 9 i was pretty bored
-Lisa
it was all in the gym.time 1 ...touching.time 2 ...booooooring!
and it was crowded.UGH!!! time 3 ...tuned out.
-ROBBY ROBERT
oh man... now I know what my students were thinking! I can't tell you how excited I am to see comments from Lisa and Robby!
Post a Comment