Monday, February 11, 2008

NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE $500...

So last night I was going about my usually Sunday evening business. Last minute lesson plans, laundry, watching Rock of Love 2, dishes, etc., when i received a phone call from my little buddy, Carter. Apparently even 7-year-olds need to vent sometimes. He immediately started in on all the things wrong with his life. He covered a range of topics including the stew he didn't want to eat for dinner, the injustice of Matilda Paige going to a friend's house to play, not having any toys he likes to play with, never getting to play with Joshua after-school, and having Lazy Friday instead of Friday Fun Night. I did my best Sue impersonation and tried to encourage Carter to look on the bright side. I listed off things he could be happy about...he retorted with all the was wrong with my suggestion. I tried singing happy songs with him... I was met with silence. Finally, after 20 minutes of this, I said, "Carter, is there anything I can do right now to make this better." Without any think time Carter responded, "NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE $500 TO HIRE A TAXI TO TAKE ME TO GEORGIA SO I CAN HANG OUT WITH MY COUSINS!!! YOU GUYS NEVER WANT ME TO SEE MY COUSINS AND I'M NOT SURE WHY, BUT I HAVE HAD IT!!" I realized now was not the time to educate him on the complications of tanscontinental travel and instead said, "Buddy, I love you but I think you need to call Grandma Sue." Here's hoping your Monday is a little brighter!!

6 comments:

betsey said...

Loren and Kalin, does this make you a little nervous for those teen years? He sounds a little like angsty-Betsey at 14

The Bob Briggs Family said...

Oh How I love Carter Stories!!

Brittany

The Bob Briggs Family said...

Carter, go for it--life's short and your Dad and Mom have short memories.

Smedlap

Anne said...

On behalf of the GA cosins, Carter is welcome to come hang out any time.

Susan said...

Thanks Em - both Bobpa and Gm Sue had long long vists with Mr. C. He said his whole family is good but he is BLUE. However, he is going to make some wonderful inventions in the future that will help with lots of things including catching thieves in our residence halls. Wish we were closer to all our grandkids - they are all so SMART!

The Bob Briggs Family said...

I remember whenever I screwed up growing up (this occurred hourly) dad would say I hope your kid is just like you. Well instant karma is going to get you. I am always so happy he has so many people he can turn to when he needs to commisorate with others about how mean his daddy is. My guess is the list of people who can understand what a pain in the butt it is dealing with me will only continue to grow along with Carter's list of greviences. By the way is that a comment from Uncle C.M. how cool is that.
LoB