Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Making Parents Proud

I put my musical abilities to the test starting in the 5th grade. I knew that I had the voice of an angel, it just needed to be trained. I begged Sue to allow to wait until 6th grade to start taking a music class...choir wasn't offered until middle school. Sue wanted to make sure that I discovered my talents at an early age so she forced *hmmmm* I mean encouraged me to join the band in the 5th grade. I remeber the night we chose instruments. Crammed into the Hawthorne auditorum I wandered around aimlessly, not wanting to seal my fate, hoping mom would change her mind. That's when something shiny caught my eye...it was bright and new. In an instant I knew that I was meant to be the greatest trumpet player ever to come out of Missoula, Montana. I begged Bob and Sue, "Please, Please, Please can I get a new one?" I didn't want to be stuck renting one of the dinged up, old trumpets, and I certainly didn't want to go through the stinky trombone hell I had watched LoB suffer through the year before. I assured them I would work my hardest to make that trumpet worth every penny. Most of you know how that promise turned out...emmy briggs...7th grader...fake playing (pushing valves but not blowing thus producing no sound) through griz halftime shows, red wave maching band performances, and mr. aston's band class. How sad...what a disappointment!! Mom and Dad, I apologize, but I think I have some news that will make it all better. Instead of being the best trumpet player to come out of Missoula, Montana, I am THE GREATEST DRUMMER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!

4 comments:

Susan said...

We are happy about every penny spent on our musical genius! We always new you had "it". If only guitar hero was invented many years ago!!!! YOU GO GIRL.

The Bob Briggs Family said...

I did not attend the Rock Band party Emmy is talking about, however the weekend before for Friday Night Fun Night Mr. Gamboa brought down Rock Band and Emmy is not kidding she really does kick some major booty on the drums. Her drum work on "Buddy Holly" was inspired.

The Bob Briggs Family said...

Emmy Im sorry you had an abused childhood....and Im glad you got to fulfill your dream as a musician!
LOVE YOU FOR REALS!

emmy said...

i know that you guys like proof. and the proof is in the numbers, so here is a number for you...On Weezer's "Buddy Holly" i got a 98%. not that i am looking for more compliments.