I know there are not that many super sports fans on the blog and even fewer NBA fans however I just thought the end of the Sonics in Seattle should be noted. I went to a few Sonics games when I lived in Seattle (including one where K. and I sat courtside with our free hot dogs and popcorn and I spent the whole game trying to figure out where to look as the Sonic Girls bounced with all their bouncy parts right in front of me during every time out and Kalin called Emmy to make her jealous every time a NBA athletes butt was 1 foot from us as they threw the ball in.) though when I went to the games the Sonics everyone remembers (Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, the X-Man) were long gone. I was going to write a blog about how sad it is for the city of Seattle to be losing an important part of the community for the last 41 years but as I was reading about all of this there are so many more people who can say it all so much better so I am providing some links if you are interested in looking at them. (and if I can figure out how to do the link thing.) Help me Mark Fuller you are our only hope. The first link (I think) is from Bill Simmons (the Sports Guy who did a column of e-mails he has recieved from Sonics fans and their frustrations about this whole thing. The second link should take you to some of Sherman Alexie's articles he has been writing for The Stranger (an independent Seattle newspaper)about the Sonic ordeal. I think even our non sports fan readers will find these interesting and a little heartbreaking.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080228
www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author?oid=14116&category=482248
2 comments:
Yet another reason to dislike the NBA... as if Kobe and the Lakers weren't enough.
Finally had a chance to look at the links. Very sad and interesing comments -- except the mark twain quip about jane Austin!
Post a Comment