My summer reading so far...
Book #1: Those of you familiar with the HBO series and the movies will enjoy Kalin's suggestion The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell. In this book we get to know high school senior Carrie Bradshaw and understand what brought her to the city that she ends up having a twenty year love affair with. There were moments that I wanted to shake Carrie and say, "NO BOY IS WORTH THAT AMOUNT OF AGGRAVATION!" The love interest was NOT likable at all! The fun part is finding out how she meets Samantha Jones.
Book #2: Lisa picked Robin Palmer's Cindy Ella. When I started reading I immediately thought of A Cinderella Story starring Hillary Duff. I was pleased when it took some turns. I really liked that in this modern day Cinderella story the father was there and present. I also liked that the stepmom and stepsisters were not horrible, evil, awful. They were just a little challenging... seemed much more realistic. I really loved that this story was set in L.A.'s Hancock Park (the neighborhood where LoB teaches). I recognized the places! How fun is that?
Book#3: Anne suggested Beastly by Alex Flinn. I, of course, was totally excited because now
I will be prepared to watch the movie starring Vanessa Hudgins (hello... High School Musical!)
I really enjoyed this modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I definitely found myself jealous
of the "beauty" character (Lindy). The "beast" (Kyle) was quite lovely to her from the start.
Lindy had everything a girl could ever want... including a LIBRARY! A great summer read!
So far I have really enjoyed the book suggestions. It was good to review all the morals present
in fairy tales. Beauty is only skin deep. And you should never judge a book by it's cover. Your
true love could be anywhere you just need to keep believing. Oh... and apparently high school
is a lot more brutal than I remember. Not the academics so much, but the fitting in. Just remember
to be yourself.
So... what should I read next? I'm open to suggestions.
3 comments:
test
I'm so glad you are reading with us. I think you need something a little less summer now- so try what Mark or Loren suggested ;)
i wanted to suggest beastly to u as well as cindy ella, but mom said no:((
Post a Comment