Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mark's first few down!

Howdy everyone!

I have finished three of the books recommended for me and so far, I have really enjoyed all three!

First, I read The Invisible Wall (Anne's selection). This is a story about Jews living in London on a street where the Jews were on one side and the Christians lived on the other side, told from the perspective of a young Jewish boy. While both sides got together with their own, they only really crossed the "line" for business. With the start on WWII, the wall became somewhat lower and there was more interaction between the two sides because they both had sons sent off to war, and both had some who did not return. (BTW, as you will see below, I have somewhat of a theme going so far). I also found there to be a wall between the boy's parents, as the dad was really non-existent in his life even though he would come home late every night. I really liked the book because I appreciated the sheer determination and grit to succeed that drove the boy and his family. My thoughts also wandered around what "walls" I may have up. I think I am a pretty open person but I think our beliefs and morals are the foundations of our walls. I have spent enough time in different parts of this earth to see many cases of walls that exist, be they based on religion, political belief, gender, or whatever. I guess in the end, I think walls can be good or bad, depending on how they are used. But I liked the book - good pick, Anne!

Next, I read Days of Infamy suggested by Bob. As you can guess from the title, this book focuses on the beginning of the US time in WWII, focusing in particular on Pearl Harbor and the sea and land battles around Hawaii. I am a big war books fan, and I really liked this one. I always thought growing up that I would fly fighter jets (and still secretly wish I could) so this book was right up my alley. Fighting against such tremendous odds, and reading about those pilots willing to take a mission even when they knew without a doubt that they would not be coming back really inspires me and makes me very thankful for Carl and others who served so very valiantly. I am in awe of their courage and grateful for their sacrifice. If I had a chance, I would have joined them.

Finally, I got to read Olivia and the Missing Toy suggested by Molly. This book was hilarious! I read it to Cody and we were both laughing. Anne started listening in from the kitchen and was soon laughing as well! Thanks, Molly, for helping me to keep it light with my two heavy books to start!

I am in the middle of another very good book for work but it is not on my list, so I may have to do some double time to keep up.

Keep reading!!

Mark

1 comment:

Susan said...

Nice to read your interesting comments - sounds like some good reads. The neat thing about the reading list project is that we all have so many interesting books to add to our lists!

Hope all is going well and you have a great summer reading, working and playing.