I started my summer reading as soon as I could, despite the fact that it is specifically SUMMER reading- to heck with formal titles! Any who, I sat down to record my summer reading program at the library books and decided, as my beloved Aunt to the Emmy would say:"Grace you with my great and sparkling thoughts" about summer reading.
First on the list is my Dads' pick because I found it first and was there when he suggested it. I almost immediately slunk of to find it. To bad my American History teacher had already ruined the ending! Ah well, you can't have every thing you want! I found Animal Farm in one of our book cases in the family room, ironically by Shakespeare's' Julius Cesar Made Easy and An LDS Families Family Home Evening Planner. Am I the only one who finds this ironic? We have all sorts of genres at the Fuller house: Murder next to Corrupted Government residing beside Fun Family Nights!! What variety! Any ways, Animal Farm has some interesting thoughts in it. (Are we as easily fooled and soothed as the animals by our government??)My favorite characters from it are Old Major, Snowball and Boxer. All the good guys:)
Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn was Emma's pick. The title and cover were enough to give me the creeps! I found this book an interesting read and am filing it away in my brain under something to give LoB as summer reading: your into heavy summer reading, aren't ya LoB?? I read the forward of Mom's and am kind of dreading to see if my book will be about lions eating kids to...no offense LoB.... I liked the ending to this story and found Sissy to have a strange, phsyco, cute-in-a-creepy-misunderstood-rebel-with-out-a-cause kinda girl.
Cody *cough cough mom again cough* suggested a book that is now on my favorite books list! Romeo's Ex: Rosalind's Story by Lisa Fieldler an awesome read! I love how the author took an underdeveloped, open ended character and turned it into a strong willed girl how grows in the story beautifully. There is also a twist in the original play at the end but those beans are not gonna spill:)
Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock was suggested by my dear Aunt Kalin (who eats tacos the clean Aunt Kalin way- I still remember that!) I greatly enjoyed this book and found it a perfect summer read. Maybe Uncle Loren should have had a meeting with his wife before suggesting books with lions eating children:) (in case you were wondering- I doubt Loren will ever live that down from me!!;) ) I loved this book and how she got to play football with all the guys. Her friend kinda creeped me out though, even before the big confession. My favorite part of the book was when her brother came to her game after she "punched that bruise"
Olivia Saves the Circus by Ian Falconer was a cute book and I would recommend bringin it with you when you go to babysit! Thank you Molly for suggeting such a cute book:)
And there you have it folks!! I hope you had a good time reading this! Thank you, thank you!! I'll be here all summer!! Goodbye now ya'll!!
2 comments:
Wow! Lisa... you are going to be all the way through your list by the start of July! I loved your insights and am glad to have your voice on the blog. You are funny! I loved Dairy Queen. I went on to read all 3 books in the series. I am going to check out the story about Rosalind.
Lisa - you are something!!! Moving quickly through the reading list and with such interesting comments and insights -- both about the books and your big funny family. I've started my first book - you suggestion that I'm sure to finish today -- The Green Glass Sea -- I love it -- what a different perspective about Los Alamos --- I'll be commenting on it tomorrow!!! It is going to be on my highly recommended list along with Calpurnia Tate.
Enjoyed skyping you today -- you look so grown up and beautiful in your contacts!
Post a Comment