Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm still reading- are you?

This is starting to feel like the Anne & Lisa show. But I will continue in hopes that other people will join us on the blog review (which I think was the brain child of Emmy & Mom).

Anyway, I have now completed the Mysterious Benedict Society suggested to me by Rob. It is a very interesting book and I really loved Reynie. I thought the tests were fantastic, especially the one about cheating, and I loved that all four kiddos figured out different ways to get the right answers that showed their strengths. I also liked that each one had to use their own strength to help the group, and that they had to have each of the kiddos to accomplish the goal. I was not impressed with the revelation about Constance at the end of the book. It was a total "give me a break- that is too ridiculous" kind of surprise. Other than that, I really liked the book.

I also have completed Schooled, which Emma recommended. It was a fun and interesting concept and I thought it was great that the kids of C Average learned a little bit of tolerance and that the Assistant Principle learned that he couldn't look the other way when it came to some of the "traditions" of the student body. Burying your head in the sand doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the outcome. I was really stressed about the money thing. I think the ultimate hippie (how did Lisa put it *cough*cough*mom*cough*) should read this one- but the money thing will freak her out too. Loren and Emmy could probably relate well to the C Average students (it is a middle school) and sympathize with the clueless 8th grader that suddenly went from homeschooling to the jungles of middle school.

Good luck on your interview tomorrow, Loren.

1 comment:

The Bob Briggs Family said...

Great job moving through the list -I always thing you write interesting reviews that make me want to read the book although maybe not a money one that might make me freak - it will be nice when summer actually starts (aka - school gets out)in LA so everyone else can start sharing their thoughts.

Hope all the cooking went well - and Happy Father's Day to Mark and Loren.